Monday, June 24, 2013

Fast and Furious: The Next Generation

Well, as you can see by the title, I was not able to resist the delicious, delicious cake.  We will get to more on that as we continue, but I just wanted to spare you some suspense.  In the meantime, here is an update.  This week I started my week of early shifts at work.  This has already made my mornings a bit more rushed as I need to make sure I am up in time to juice, clean the juicer, drink and bottle my breakfast and lunch, wake up my kid, change him, wake up the wife, and hand the baby off to her with time to spare for a shower and the drive in to the office.  Doing that this morning made me decide to juice the next day's batch the night before.  "But aren't you worried about having unpasteurized juice overnight?"  Do what now?  I'm sure that if I was going to die from juicing, it would have been apparent by now. 

Day 6:

Work was pretty easy. Made it through the day on juice full of fruits and some spinach and some other goodies.  It was tasty enough.  When I got home I had a glass of the juice I had made on day five...too watery and tomato-y to be good, but it kept me full for the night and that was all that really mattered.  My wife had left during the day to get a head start for the birthday party that was 2 hours away, so I had the house alone that night.  I kept myself occupied with gaming and movies so I wouldn't be tempted with the food in my house.  The cravings have been pretty non-existent at this point, but I still don't really want to tempt myself.

Day 7:

This was the day of the party.  I woke up bright and early, getting a bit too little sleep.  Made a quick juice of carrots, a lemon, an orange, and some ginger.  This was instantly WAY too sour for me so I had to add an apple to cut it back.  With my breakfast made, my shower taken and a bottle for lunch, I embarked on the two hour drive north.  I made it up north just in time to see my wife finishing the a batch of tiny cakes inside tiny ice cream cones.  Already I could tell it was going to be a rough day.

After she finishes frosting and decorating the tiny cone cakes, we packed them up and headed to the party.  We are a little late, so thankfully most of the easy snacks had been eaten by the many children running around.  We put the tiny cakes down, passed the kid around, and she casually said to me, "go ahead, have something to eat." 

I WAS UNLEASHED!  I grabbed a plate and filled it up like a man possessed! I couldn't even tell you where I was finding all of this food, but I soon had a pile that was half as wide as the plate and had a bag of chips hanging from my teeth...Just kidding.

I had a few of the cake cone things. Each one was about 2 bites of cake, so that wasn't going to set me back too far.  There were some burgers cooling on the stove from earlier in the party. I picked one up in my hand, grabbed a napkin and proceeded to eat it like a cookie for a while, no condiments or bun, just the delicious beef.  I went back for another one shortly before we left the party.  I had a small cup full of the more healthy looking pasta salad, and I managed to stay away from any soda or lemonade, choosing to stick with my water instead. 

When we got out of the party, I realized I had consumed a small fraction of what I normally would have at a shindig such as this and was moderately proud of myself, even though my wife and I had pretty much had an impromptu cheat day.  We spent a few hours with her family before heading back home.  The problem with staying out so late, was that we started our 2 hour drive shortly before 7.  We had a screaming son in the back and so I decided that since we had already cheated, we might as well go for it.  I pulled in to Burger King to get one of those smoothie things, as sort of a healthier alternative to just stopping and grabbing a soda.  Then the two of us split a small fry and a 4 piece nugget. 

All of this food had probably been the best I had ever had. Even the nuggets were tasty.  The best part, is that my stomach handled all of this food perfectly. No feeling sick, no cramping or fear of the body rejecting the food. I just felt fuller, sooner.  Which is a good thing.

Day 1(8):

Today was, like I said earlier, a little harder to be motivated in the morning.  I threw together a juice of kale and spinach...and then promptly hid those flavors by juicing a couple apples, blueberries, grapes and strawberries.  It didn't make as much as I had hoped it would, but I didn't have time to fight with the juicer for any remaining juice, nor did I have time to wash more produce.  I made it to work on time (barely) and managed to get through the day without any cravings.  Those started when I came home. 

Today was the day I had to go to the store to buy more carrots and restock us up on leafy greens.  Walking though the store wasn't bad, but stepping into my house, knowing that I have burgers in the freezer just waiting to go on the grill, and a bag of nachos on the counter (still mocking me) ready to have a block of cheese grated onto them and then melted in the oven.  This knowledge really made it hard to make my wife and I a carrot, kale, green apple, ginger, spinach and lemon dinner. 

What is keeping me going tonight, is the fact that although I didn't feel any ill effects from the food I had over the weekend, that food was probably better than anything I have lurking in my house, waiting for me to slip up.  That coupled with the fact that even though I slipped, I still started the day today weighing less than I did on day 6, really kept me focused.

Sorry this post wasn't as florid as some might be expecting at this point. It's been a long weekend and I am fairly exhausted.  Don't worry, I shall return as my normal, slightly manic, self tomorrow with tales of day 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment